Staying sober during the holidays, can be difficult. The holiday season can be a stressful one. In early sobriety, these factors can make staying sober during the holidays difficult.
- Parties – Many people have stress around family and office parties during the holidays. First, being around alcohol can be hard. Answer– Bring a trusted or sober friend.
- Finances – Presents, travel or time off from work causes financial stress. Answer- Make a budget before going.
Parties and finances are listed as the top two holiday stressors. THE RECOVERY BOOK list three simple ways to stay sober during the holidays:
- Take it easy! Get plenty of rest, watch what you eat, get your usual exercise, and take time for meditation. Maintain your recovery routine as much as possible.
- Plan fun other than sitting around and gabbing. In many families, sitting around and drinking happens. Plan other options now. Movies, museums, concerts, skating, walks, sledding, sports events can all help fill the time and limit stress. If weather keeps you inside, do things that will keep everyone busy and focused. Such as decorating holiday cookies, board games, or old movies.
- If you’re traveling, go to meetings. Find a meeting long before you get there. This will give you the support you will need—the chance to say, “Sure, I love my family, but sometimes they drive me up the wall,” or to talk about whatever else it is that almost drives you to drink.
Take Action Today
We Are Ready to Assist You
Call us now and begin healing at 512.363.5914 or you can fill out form below and we will contact you.